Quality Control & Training Specialist
|Competition Number: INF-06-20||Department: Infrastructure & Operations|
|Posting Category: Open||Division: Environment|
|Job Type: Full-Time||Affiliation: Non-Union|
|Site: Water Treatment Plant||Location: CA-ON-Thunder Bay|
|Min: CAD $65,610.86/Yr.||Max: CAD $77,189.27/Yr.|
|Pay Band: 8||Number of Positions: 1|
|Effective Date: July 13, 2006||Supersedes Date: February 20, 2006|
|Posted Date: January 3, 2020||Post End Date: January 24, 2020|
As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Thunder Bay encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS CODE: It is a contravention of the Human Rights Code of Ontario to discriminate on the basis of: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, age, record of offences, gender identity or gender expression. Therefore, a resume submitted to the City must not include references to any of the above characteristics. Do not include:
- Any certificates that have photo identification
- Driver’s licences
- Police records checks
Note: The above documentation will be requested by the Human Resources & Division should you be the successful applicant. If a Criminal Record Check is required it will be requested by Human Resources should you be the successful applicant. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
ACCOMMODATION: Reasonable accommodations are available upon request for all parts of the recruitment process.
Application forms must reference the competition number and be submitted to Human Resources by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Manager Compliance & Quality Control, is responsible for developing and implementing a training program, along with delivering training which meets legislative and regulatory requirements, and for ensuring that legislative requirements relating to certification of Division staff are being adhered to. Performs the duties of an alternate Quality Management System representative as defined in the City of Thunder Bay’s Operational Plan.
- Develops and manages an ongoing training program for Division staff, ensuring that learning objectives of the program satisfy Ministry requirements.
- Develops training programs in consultation with Division supervisors and trains staff as required.
- Designated as an alternate Quality Management System representative.
- Stays current with all new and existing regulations relating to the Division; evaluates the impact of such regulatory amendments on training and quality assurance; makes recommendations to achieve compliance.
- Negotiates contract services with training providers; ensures that training providers and course materials meet legislative requirements; identifies opportunities for training partnerships with other municipalities or organizations.
- Implements, updates and makes recommendations for documentation/records under the QMS and ensures communication to the Division including Quality Management Systems, Standard Operating Procedures and other records implemented under the Operational Plan.
- Develops and maintains a computerized certification/training database, ensuring that all necessary information is retained as per Ministry requirements; acts as the Division’s primary contact to the Ministry for the provision of legislated reporting and documentation requirements relating to staff training and certification.
- Reviews individual training profiles with applicable supervisor to ensure that short- and long-term certification requirements can be achieved.
- Manages the successful completion of required training courses by staff; prepares evaluation reports on staff licensing, qualifications, and certification results.
- Conducts inspections/investigations, ensuring that Ministry requirements are being adhered to for the purpose of compliance and quality assurance; reports non-compliance to appropriate supervisor(s) and/ or takes corrective action.
- Conducts internal audits and prepares reports in accordance with the Operational Plan.
- Collaborates with Division supervisors, Human Resources, and the Corporate Safety Specialist to assess future training needs; develops and recommends future training strategies to compliment Divisional goals, objectives, and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborates in the development and maintenance of comprehensive operations and maintenance manuals, ensuring that manuals contain required information and are readily accessible to staff.
- Participates as a member of the Division’s management team, providing input on division planning and strategic initiatives; participates on project teams, as assigned.
- Prepares educational reviews for operational staff in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Participates in the hiring and training process for Divisional staff.
- Prepares and monitors annual training budget, taking corrective action to ensure budget compliance; assists in the development of Division budgets.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
- Degree in science, environmental/technical studies, or adult education along with three years’ experience in regulatory compliance, quality assurance/quality control; or
- Diploma in environmental/technical studies, adult education or a related field of study along with five years’ experience in regulatory compliance, quality assurance/quality control;
- Experience in quality management systems and auditing preferred
- Ministry of the Environment Water/Wastewater Certification preferred
- Experience in designing and implementing training programs is preferred
- Superior ability to communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated experience working with internal clients to identify needs and recommend health and safety strategies
- Superior ability to communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing, with the ability to make presentations and deliver training to a variety of audiences
- Superior ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with Administration, Union executives, superiors, co-workers, employees, and the general public
- Excellent observational skills
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with private and public officials, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public
- Ability to improve Divisional effectiveness and efficiency
- Must be at a basic skill level in word processing and spreadsheet software
- Competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Demonstrated ability to interpret a variety of legislation and explain complex issues and terminology
- Ability to analyze issues and make timely decisions in accordance with appropriate legislation and departmental needs
- Experience with SAP and database software
- Knowledge of the functions of City departments, outside boards, and local community groups
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Will be required to travel to various work locations and provide own transportation
- Must undergo a successful Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)
|Job Category||Quality Control & Training, Specialist|