Supervisor of Water Customer Services
Job Number: PN-20-03
Job Type: Permanent Full-time, Non-Union
Closing Date: Tuesday, February 25, 2020
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common – municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great
The Water Operations Branch is part of the Operations Department of the Infrastructure and Growth Management Division. The branch’s key responsibilities include the operation and maintenance of the City’s environmental infrastructure and systems including water supply, treatment and distribution systems. This includes the repair and maintenance of drinking water treatment systems, water mains, valves, hydrants, residential main shut off valves, repair and replacement and water meters for service billing; the inspection of water mains and services; the installation of Industrial / Commercial / Institutional water services and meters, new home meters and hydrant metered gate valves; the Backflow Prevention Program; the resolution of water quality or water pressure issues/complaints; the maintenance of City standard drawing details for water specifications; and the prevention of infrastructure damage through the locating services for all of the City of Barrie’s buried infrastructure in accordance with “One Call” legislation.
The Supervisor of Water Customer Service oversees three main portfolio areas: 1) water meter installation, testing, calibration, maintenance, and cyclical replacement operations, and the advanced metering infrastructure system (AMI); 2) water customer service which investigates and trouble-shoots customer issues related to water quality, system pressure, and water billing anomalies; and 3) water outreach programs that include the Hydrant Meter Gate Valve and Bulk Water Strategy, Fire Flow Testing, City Infrastructure Damage Prevention and Ontario One-Call water utility locates, Water Quality and Conservation, and the Lead Sampling programs. The position supervises water customer service staff, oversees records management in a regulatory environment, coordinates Branch payroll, prepares and administers budgets, develops work processes and protocols, oversees staff/contractor health and safety, conducts research and prepares reports, contributes to the Branch Management Team, acts in the absence of the WOB Manager, and performs on rotation as Overall Responsible Operator (ORO) for the WD system.
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- Three (3) year College Diploma in Civil, Environmental, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or related discipline, including specific studies in water distribution and supply, OR
- Completion of Water Distribution Class II Certificate from the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) acquired
- Completion of Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) Designation from the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) acquired
- Completion of courses in customer service, customer service leadership, occupational health and safety, staff leadership
- Completion of Journeyman Water Meter Installation and Maintenance Certification recognized by the Province of Ontario.
- Five (5) years of experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities, including demonstrated leadership/supervisory experience
- Two (2) years of demonstrated supervisory experience in a unionized environment
- Demonstrated Ability to:
- create and read system drawings and specifications
- multi-task and manage a regulated operational portfolio, and to anticipate/trouble-shoot issues/problems quickly and effectively
- foster and contribute to a positive, productive, service-excellence work environment
- deal courteously and effectively with all contacts, commitment and ability to model corporate values
- take a collaborative approach and good role model for staff
- Intermediate computer literacy using the following systems and software: utilizing MSOffice Suite, Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) software (CityWorks preferred), Financial Information Systems (FIS) software (JD Edwards, SAP), Telogers Pressure Software, APLI software, Mars AMS Electronic Meter Calibration test equipment, SCADA systems, remote metering, alarm and communication systems, underground utility locating equipment and software, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Spend Dynamics, Questica, eRIS, Web Space, High Tide, Dig-Smart Utility Locate Management System, advanced metering infrastructure technology and software, etc. and the internet as a research tool.
- Availability to work outside of schedule work hours to perform standby, overtime, or emergency response duties
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence in good standing
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
Other Important Information
Location: Surface Water Treatment Plant, 20 Royal Parkside Drive, Barrie, Ontario
Hours: The normal hours of work are 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, with overtime required occasionally.
Wage: This position is a permanent full-time, non-union position with the following pay level and 2020 pay range:
- Pay Level: Level 12
- Yearly Salary: $90,595.65 to $115,649.14 per year
- Hourly Pay Rate: $43.56 to $55.60 per hour
Benefits: This position includes a comprehensive non-union benefit plan, including but not limited to extended health and dental coverage, life and accident insurance, paid vacation and sick days, short/long term disability plans, OMERS pension plan, discounted rate for City Fitness Memberships and much more.
The Application Process
Please submit your resume electronically by quoting PN-20-03 Supervisor of Water Customer Services in the subject line (MS Word or pdf format only) to email Hire.Me@Barrie.ca by Tuesday, February 25, 2020.
Don’t meet the credentials as outlined but have years of directly related experience? Please see the City’s Education Equivalency Procedure to determine if you may qualify for equivalency. Further information is available at www.barrie.ca/JobOpps.
- Position Equivalency Code: D
Please note that verification of educational credentials will be required from the preferred candidate prior to an employment offer.
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Personal information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) for the purpose of candidate selection.
Disclaimer: The job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of employees to do this job. For full position details, please request a copy of the Job Description by emailing Hire.Me@Barrie.ca.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
|Job Category||Water Customer Services|