Waterworks Operator II, Regular Full-Time, Outside Union GR 6B
|Job Title||Waterworks Operator II, Regular Full Time, Outside Union GR 6B|
|Employer||City of Markham|
|Location||Markham, ON, CA|
|Salary Range||CAD 33.9700 to 34.4200 Hourly|
|Worker Category||Regular, Full-time|
The City of Markham is a dynamic and change-oriented leader among Canadian municipalities. The recipient of multiple environmental awards, we are recognized for our innovative sustainability and urban planning initiatives as much as for our fiscal accountability. More than 320,000 residents call Markham home and benefit from our rich heritage, culturally diverse environment, vibrant local economy and focus on quality of life.
Applications are now being received for the above position in the Environmental Services Department – Waterworks, Operations & Maintenance Section, within the Community & Fire Services Commission. While all applications will be received, current members of CUPE 905 (Outside workers) will be given first consideration. To apply for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter and a copy of your driver’s abstract online by October 16, 2019 at:
Reporting to the Waterworks Supervisor, you will operate and maintain the City of Markham Water Distribution System (class 2), Wastewater Collection System (class 2), and appurtenances in accordance with departmental policies, procedures, and provincial regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspect all new water and wastewater system appurtenances to ensure infrastructure meets City standards and specifications.
- Respond to customer inquiries and complaints, resolving concerns for system integrity; check and monitor system conditions and performance
- Perform stake outs to provide water and sewer location and information in accordance with departmental policies and procedures
- Conduct water and wastewater quality sampling as required
- Provide emergency service involving the water and sewer systems during regular or after hours, conducting assessments and immediate repairs and/or protection measures to ensure public health & safety, as well as system integrity.
- Go on rotational standby schedule throughout the year to provide after hours response and other overtime associated works
- Maintain valid Operator Certificates and Licences required by the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks as required by the Corporation based upon the current system classes
- Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks Class II Water Distribution Certificate and Class II Waste Water Collection Licence. Candidates who hold Class I WD and Class I WWC will be considered providing they are able to write and pass Class II examinations within the probationary period. Candidates must hold both WD certificate and WWC license in order to be qualified
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent. Preference will be given to candidates with a minimum two year community college diploma in engineering or science related fields
- Demonstrated experience in municipal waterworks and wastewater operations
- Knowledge with Hansen or other computer based maintenance management system, SCADA and operational experience with heavy machinery would be considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, time/project management, organizational, analytical, recordkeeping, problem-solving, and leadership skills.
- Strong team player with the ability to work alone when required
- Thorough working knowledge of the OSDWA, OWRA, OHSA, DWQMS and associated regulations is required
- Computer literacy using mobile tablet PC, word-processing, spreadsheets, and database software
- Minimum Class G driver’s licence; DZ preferred. Must have a clean driver’s abstract as approved by the City of Markham and be able to upgrade to a DZ licence. As a condition of employment you will required to provide a satisfactory drivers abstract
- Must be available to participate in shared on-call (24/7) standby rotation and environmental emergency response
- As a condition of employment, you will be required to submit medical documentation of physical ability to perform the duties of the position, along with a satisfactory police records check as approved by the City of Markham
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.
|Job Category||Waterworks operator|