System Operator / Operator-in-Training, Niagara Region
|Job Opening 25839||# Required: 12|
|Business Unit: Public Works||Division: Water & Wastewater|
|Location:||Standard Hours: 40.00 / week|
|Full/Part Time: Full-Time||Regular/Temporary:|
|Salary Grade:||Salary Range: $25.41 – $33.45|
|Post Date: 2020-04-10||Close Date: 2020-05-07|
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Please note that the online application process includes a series of questions related to the requirements of the posting. We advise all applicants to carefully review their responses to the online questionnaire for accuracy, prior to submitting their application.
It is highly recommended applicants print or save a copy of the job posting prior to starting the application in order to reference the job requirements throughout the recruitment process.
As part of the online application process, we ask that all applicants provide an email address that they regularly check.
The Niagara Region is currently pre-qualifying individuals for System Operator/Operator-in-Training opportunities in our Water Wastewater division, Public Works department. Pre-qualified individuals will be considered for future job opportunities as they become available, whether casual, temporary or permanent.
Pay rate (current): Starting pay ranges from $25.41 – $33.45/hour, depending on the licensing held by the individual. The total range in pay for OIT/Operator positions is $26.82 – $35.72, depending on level of licensing and years of service within CUPE 1287.
Hours: A typical work week is scheduled 40 hours. Shifts vary, including days, afternoon, nights, weekends and holidays, and shifts up to 12 hours. Work may be casual, temporary or permanent in nature, depending on need. There is no minimum guarantee of hours or frequency of work while in casual work assignments.
Location: Locations vary throughout the Niagara Region. Our main treatment facilities are located in Niagara Falls,
Fort Erie, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Queenston, Welland, Port Colborne, Crystal Beach, St. Catharines, Port Dalhousie, and Grimsby, in addition to a variety of support stations and facilities.
Operators-in-Training must have successfully completed Operator-in-Training exams in Water Treatment, Water Distribution (and Supply), Wastewater Collection and Wastewater Treatment in order to qualify for OIT licenses, or, already hold all four valid OIT licenses. OITs start in an entry level training position. The OIT assists with the overall operation and maintenance of the facility and system components as directed by a licensed operator. Duties include the operation of the plant and system, sampling, laboratory work, and general cleaning of buildings and grounds. The OIT participates in training programs, seminars, job shadowing and other initiatives leading to a Class 1 Treatment license within an 18 month period.
System Operators must hold a minimum of valid Class I licensing in either A) Water Treatment and Water Distribution (and Supply), or B) Wastewater Collection and Wastewater Treatment. System Operators are responsible for the overall operation of Water/Wastewater facilities, pumping stations, and collection systems. Duties include utilizing computer Supervisor Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, sampling, laboratory work, data analysis, reading & interpreting flow meters, etc. Operators collect and test water samples from various stages of the process to monitor chemical residuals and maintain the parameters required by the Ministry of Environment and the Ministry of Health.
- Must have successfully obtained an Ontario high school diploma or equivalent (ex.GED)
- Valid, unrestricted G-class driver’s license
- Must meet ONE of the following three criteria as it pertains to Ministry of Environment and Climate Change (M.O.E.C.C.) certification:
- 1-Successfully completed Operator-in-Training exams in Water Treatment, Water Distribution, Wastewater Collection and Wastewater Treatment in order to qualify for valid OIT licenses, OR;
- 2-Hold valid Operator-in-Training licenses in Water Treatment, Water Distribution, Wastewater Collection and Wastewater Treatment (4 certificates) OR;
- 3-Possess valid Class I licenses (in either Water Treatment and Distribution (and Supply) or Wastewater Collection and Wastewater Treatment)
- Willing to complete additional levels of training leading obtaining additional levels of Water/Wastewater certification
- Degree/diploma in Environmental/Resources Studies, Science or a related field
- Previous experience in a water/wastewater, chemical treatment or similar facility
- Successful completion of the Entry-Level Drinking Water Operator Course (OIT) through the Walkerton Clean Water Centre (or other authorized organization)
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment
- Completion of additional certifications/courses related to water/wastewater operation and treatment
- Experience with or training in the use of SCADA, PLCs or other similar systems
- Laboratory testing experience
- Related Health & Safety training/certification, such as Confined Space Entry, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, WHMIS, First Aid/CPR, SCBA, etc.
Other Competencies or Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper health and safety practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of water and wastewater processes, systems and regulations
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks on a daily basis
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, communicate and cooperate with others
- Proven ability to recognize issues, analyze data, troubleshoot and solve problems
- Ability to respond to emergencies and follow established procedures
- Must possess basic and applied mathematical skills, mechanical and verbal reasoning, numerical ability and spatial relations
- Basic mechanical, and electrical aptitude
- Must possess computer skills including spreadsheets, word processing, work order systems and email
- Must be able to work alone and/or without direct supervision, as well as in a team environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent documentation skills (electronic and written)
- Must comply with all aspects of the Regional Respiratory Program Policy. Respiratory Fit Test mandatory
- Required to travel to various locations to receive training and/or to perform operations duties
- Work location may be changed in order to better facilitate training and experience i.e. scheduled move from Plant A to Plant B
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate
- It is the employee’s responsibility to possess and maintain a valid and restriction-free driver’s license of appropriate class to carry out the duties of the job
- OITs must successfully obtain Class I Water or Wastewater Treatment Licenses within an 18 month period once they have started actively working
To view the full job description and requirements, visit our Careers page – Job Opening# 25839
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application no later than May 7, 2020 before midnight by visiting our ‘Careers’ page at www.niagararegion.ca . We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
|Job Category||OIT, Operator, System Operator/ Operator-in-Training|